|The American Dairy Products Institute® (ADPI) is pleased to have available four (4) documents summarizing recent research on the use of permeate in pig feed. ADPI®, through its Permeate Task Force supported this research on the use of permeate in pig feed.|
- The objectives of the research studies were to evaluate lactose level impacts on intestinal health of the piglet, as well as nursery pig performance at varying body weights, and weaning ages.
- A total of 5,112 pigs were evaluated in a series of studies focused on the benefits of adding whey permeate in the diets of piglets.
- Results not only concluded that whey permeate can significantly improve the growth performance of nursery pigs, but also provided recommended ranges of inclusion levels for optimum feed efficiency.
- The studies elicited results of positive changes to gut health by inclusion of whey permeate in the diets of nursery pigs.
- Finally, results of the studies suggest that increased whey permeate in the diets of pig weaned at 21 and 25 days can improve growth performance at the identified inclusion levels suggested.
Collectively, the results provided by these studies are informative and applicable to producers and highlight the opportunities of feeding whey permeate to nursery pigs for both growth performance and gut health benefits.
ADPI® hosted a webinar in mid-January 2022 titled Advantages of Permeate in Pig Feed that discussed the results of this research in more detail. To watch the webinar, click here.
For more information, please contact Dan Meyer, Technical Director – email@example.com.